The Historic Glenerin Estate
Built by wealthy Toronto lawyer Watson Evans in 1927, Glenerin Inn has embodied elegance for nearly a century.
The Evans family spent their summers, Easter and Christmas holidays at the grand estate.
The Evans’ hosted frequently hosted parties and lavish balls for Toronto’s elite society.
During World War II, the Glenerin Estate provided a safe refuge for 90 children from the St. Hilda’s school for girls in Whitby, England, which was located on a German bombing route.
Following the school girls safe return to England after the war, the Glenerin Estate was purchased by the Robert Simpson Company in 1945.
Used as a rest home for its employees – The first of its kind in Canada – with movie equipment, a fully stocked library, grand piano and variety of activities like tennis, croquet, lawn bowling, swimming and table-tennis.
The Glenerin Estate was sold in 1961 and became St. Basil’s Novitiate.
Sold again in 1970 to the Cadillac Fairview Corp. Ltd, the estate was used for community events, art exhibitions and was also home to the Solel Synagogue congregation as they waited for construction on their Synagogue to be completed.
The Glenerin Estate underwent extensive renovations and restorations, opening its doors as The Glenerin Inn in 1986.
To learn more about the history of The Glenerin Inn, please contact contact us.